Expandable Garden Hose
As world is continuously changing with new inventions coming in and making our life easier. Expandable garden hose is also a welcome addition to garden hose industry. In fact this is a revolutionary change that us made watering plants or washing a car much easier and enjoyable for hundred of thousands of people across the globe. If you have yet to have one or you are curious as to what is about, read on as we point out 10 things that you should know about expanding garden hoses.
1) What is an Expandable Garden Hose?
Expandable Hose as the name suggest is new type of garden hose that expands 3 times its original length when water pressure is on, and contracts to its original length when its off. This flexibility allows expandable hose to be self draining, non kinking, non twisting and non tangling garden hose.
So in nutshell expandable garden hose:
- Expands 3 times its length when water pressure is on
- Contracts to its original length when pressure is off
- Weights 5 times less then traditional garden hose
- Self drains itself when not in use
- Never tangles, twists or kinks
- Easy to store in very small places
2) How does it work?
Expanding hoses are designed in such a way that it has two layers to it. One an inner tube through which water flows and an outer fabric which is usually made of nylon. The inner tube can be made of special elastic rubber called latex or TPC or especially designed tube. Different manufacturer’s uses different type of inner hose so the durability varies hose by hoses basis. When water is turned from one end, the other end of the hose which has a shut off valve is turned off, so that water is blocked from one end and when the pressure builds up inside the inner tube, the inner tube starts to expends and reaches it full expanding length. After which shut off is turned on and the hose works like just a normal garden hose. Follow the below link to see the size guide.
3) What are the benefits?
An expandable hose expands three times in length when in use and is 5 times lighter then traditional garden hose. So you don't have to worry about storage problems any more, just take it out, turn the water on and see the hose expands to it working length in seconds. And when you are done and water pressure is off, the hose will self drain and coils up, saving you ample time and energy.Are you tired of carrying heavy garden hose from one corner of your garden to another? Are you tired of untangling a twisted garden hose? Are you tired of spending your valuable time and energy in draining and coiling up your hose? Are you tired of your garden hose taking large space to store? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, then you will be delighted to hear that your worries and frustration are over with the invention of expandable garden hose.
Due to expanding nature of these garden hoses, they will never tangle, twist or kink on you, giving you refreshing watering experience that was never possible in the past. In addition these expanding hoses come in variety of beautiful colors to match your garden furniture or the color of your car. Yes you can keep these hoses in your car/boat/suv/rv/truck and use it to give them a professional clean, thanks to high water pressure generated by the narrow diameter of the tube. Usually for USA these tubes comes in standard ¾ inch diameter, giving you plenty of pressure to professionally wash your vehicle or top windows of your house.
4) What are the problems?
Based on customer’s feedback around the globe, it's clear that expandable garden hose has been a hit but they have had some problems at the same time. There have been many incidents where the hose have either burst or leaked or on some occasions didn't expand as it should. Due to these problems customers are slowly loosing confidence. However based on our research, these problems are due to three factors:
- Poor quality material used by manufacturers
- User instructions not followed
Almost all of the expandable hoses in the market either uses TPC or Latex inner tube. The problem with TPC material is that it just not strong enough and usually burst after few days. Latex whether single, double or triple layer, are little stronger the TPC but latex when used with brass connectors causes chemical reaction in the tube which causes toxic chemicals resulting in either the hose burst or leaks. Sometimes the sound of burst and its pressure can be dangerous.
5) How to use it so it lasts longer?
Following are some user instructions, which if followed can increase the life of your expandable garden hose:
- When using the hose first time, ensure to fill the hose with water with the shut off valve off and allow the hose to stretch and expand. Once it has expanded, release the water and repeat the above process once more before started using it.
- Attach the 9 setting spray nozzle on the other end of the hose.
- When fully expanded its ready to use.
- Turn the water off at the source when the hose is not in use.
- Squeeze the nozzle to drain the hose completely and allowing the hose to contract to its original length.
- Do not use the hose for drinking water.
- Do not leave the hose exposed to sun for long time.
- Do not leave the hose out in extreme winter weather.
- Be careful to use hose on rough concrete and sharp edges.
- Keep the hose indoor and shaded to increase the life of the hose.